Posted: January 15, 2023
The New Year is a time for fresh starts, including your oral health! Whether you’re looking to improve your smile or just maintain your dental health, we’ve covered you with 15 tips to start the new year.
It’s crucial to visit the dentist regularly, and we recommend finding a dentist near you that you feel comfortable with. Dental care is a must for everyone, no matter their age.
Here are 15 ways to bring in the new year smiling:
- Get a dental check-up and cleaning: Start the New Year off on the right foot and ensure your smile looks its best.
- Practice good oral hygiene habits at home: Brushing twice daily, flossing daily, and using mouthwash.
- Eat a healthy diet: Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables is good for your overall health, including your teeth and gums.
- Limit sugary and acidic foods and drinks: Too much sugar can lead to cavities, while acidic foods and drinks can erode tooth enamel.
- Give up smoking: Smoking is bad for your health but is also a leading cause of gum disease.
- Wear a mouthguard if you play sports: This will help protect your teeth from being damaged during play.
- Use fluoride toothpaste and mouthwash: Fluoride helps to prevent cavities and strengthens tooth enamel.
- Avoid using your teeth as tools: Your teeth are for chewing food, not opening bottles or tearing off tags!
- Be careful with teeth whitening products: Some products can damage tooth enamel if used too often or incorrectly.
- Get regular dental X-rays: This will help your dentist spot any problems before they become more serious.
- Consult your dentist ASAP if you have a dental problem: Don’t wait until it worsens!
- Schedule routine cleanings with your hygienist: This is a great way to keep your teeth and gums healthy between dental visits.
- Practice stress-relieving activities: Stress can lead to clenching and grinding of the teeth, damaging them over time.
- Make sure your dental benefits are up to date: Many insurance plans reset at the beginning of the year, so ensure you know what’s covered and what isn’t.
- Smile! It’s the best way to start the New Year!
Ready to get started? Scott Greenhalgh, DDS, welcomes your call at 303-988-9060.